Reader Question: What does WYSIWYG mean?

[Have a question you’d like answered? Use the comments form at the bottom of this page to submit it. We’ll review your question before posting (don’t be shy about asking!) and get back to you with a response.]

WYSIWYG is an acronym, pronounced WIZ-ee-wig, that stands for What You See Is What You Get. In our Web world, it refers to website text editors that display the same thing while you’re editing that appears when the document is published. So, when want a word to be bolded when published, it will look bold while you edit it.

Microsoft Word is a WYSIWYG editor. Notepad is not.

Scroll to Top