1. They’re not all using their desktop computers.
Seen all those people trying to meld with their Blackberries? They may be looking at your site on that thing, so make sure it looks good.
2. They have the patience of a puppy chugging espresso.
Get to the point. Fast.
3. They like pretty things, but value efficient navigation more.
Designers do funny things when they get hold of sites. They make them look beautiful, but don’t always think about what they’re supposed to do.
4. They don’t always like slide shows.
Slide shows often go nowhere. Sometimes they want to get directly to the meat.
5. They love trusted recommendations.
Think of what partners and relationships you can recommend that actually do your users a service. It’s karmic – it’ll come around to you.
They make them go away and hate you a little bit.
7. They adore before and after stories.
This should set off little bells amongst fundraisers.
8. Forcing behavior.
Listen, people will sign up/donate/attend if they want to. Don’t slap them around with a request.
9. iPads, iPods and anything that handles apps.
Do you have an inner app? Think what apps provide, and see what something similar might do for your website.
Talk about your capabilities and successes, but don’t go on and on about why you’re the best. Total turn off.