Health care workers need to be able to understand the language used on a daily basis to provide education and motivation for healthy behavior and illness management. Using good communication techniques helps them relate health information better, limit misunderstandings and build trust. This course provides the communication techniques necessary to facilitate better communication between health care providers and community members.
Health professionals with basic computer literacy.
Type of Course
Online self-guided course
- Define the importance of communication with clients and team members
- Describe the main methods of communication
- Improve written, verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Use the principles of plain language to improve interactions with patients, clients and other health care providers
- Use a readability checklist to guide development of better written materials
- Describe additional ways to communicate health information beyond the written word
- Overcome common barriers to ensure effective communication
- Understand the challenges related to cross-cultural communication
- Apply strategies to address cross-cultural communication barriers